Written by: Emily Downward | Last reviewed: January 2017.
- National Hospice and Palliative Care Organization. Accessed online on 11/4/16 at http://www.nhpco.org/about/hospice-care.
- National Cancer Institute. Accessed online on 11/4/16 at https://www.cancer.gov/about-cancer/advanced-cancer/care-choices/hospice-fact-sheet.
- Gawande, Atul. Being Mortal: Medicine and What Matters in the End. New York: Metropolitan Books, Henry Holt and Company, 2014.
- Wright AA, Zhang B, Ray A, Mack JW, Trice E, et al. Associations between end-of-life discussions, patient mental health, medical care near death, and caregiver bereavement adjustment. JAMA. 2008 Oct;300(14):1665-1673.
- Temel JS, Greer JA, Muzikansky A, Gallagher ER, Admane S, et al. Early palliative care for patients with metastatic non-small cell lung cancer. N Engl J Med 2010;363:733-742. doi: 10.1056/NEJMoa1000678.
- Connor SR, Pyenson B, Fitch K, Spence C, Iwasaki K. Comparing hospice and nonhospice patient survival among patients who die within a three-year window. 2007 Mar;33(3):238-46.