Donna Fernandez

”LungDonna was previously an advocate on

Hi, I am Donna Fernandez! I am a daughter, wife, mom, grandmother, animal lover extraordinaire, and a lung cancer survivor.

I am a native Texan, a relatively rare breed these days! I was born in Dallas, but I grew up in West Texas, oil country. I moved back to the Dallas area after high school and have been here ever since.

Despite the fact that I can barely add 2+2 without a calculator, I somehow decided I should get an accounting degree. If nothing more, this choice shows my determination because I couldn’t have chosen a more difficult degree plan for me, unless it was engineering or medicine.

I was working full-time and playing full-time when I was diagnosed with lung cancer. I had developed an addiction to the sport of dog agility and I pursued it with a vengeance! I was in class three to four nights a week and I spent both Saturday and Sunday on the agility field. I was as healthy as I had probably ever been.

I went to the doctor for the first time in about 10 years in October 2012 because, despite all of my activity, I was gaining weight. I decided I must have thyroid problems. I found a primary care doctor that took my insurance and went to get an official diagnosis.

I call her my angel doctor. She felt the tiniest knot on my collarbone and sent me that day for a CT scan. The CT scan results were alarming. She called to tell me that she was going to try to get insurance approval to send me for a PET scan. I had no idea what a PET scan was so I looked it up when I hung up the phone. This was how I came to the conclusion that I must have some kind of cancer. I expected I had thyroid cancer.

The PET scan revealed that I had lung cancer. A biopsy confirmed that I had non-small cell lung cancer, specifically, adenocarcinoma. Stage IV. My first oncologist expected that I would live about four months.

I went through chemotherapy (Avastin, Alimta, and carboplatin). It controlled my tumors while I was getting it, but as soon as we stopped the treatment, the tumors began to grow again. My then-oncologist suggested that I consider entering a clinical trial.

I joined a Phase 3 clinical trial in July 2013. I remained in the trial until July 2017. I had to get out when the tumor on my collarbone outsmarted the trial drug, which, by that time, I knew was nivolumab, aka Opdivo. I had received 98 infusions of Opdivo when I had to quit the trial.

I chose to have radiation to obliterate the tumor in my neck. I underwent 15 radiation treatments. And then, I returned to Opdivo. I am currently not in a trial, but am receiving Opdivo infusions every two weeks. So far, so good!

Click here to read all of Donna's articles on

By providing your email address, you are agreeing to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.